Tuesday, December 18, 2007

K2 blackpearl SP1 features realtime viewflow



I've had access to some beta's of K2 blackpearl SP1. I could not wait for it to hit the streets and now that it’s been unleashed, I'll highlight one of the features included.

One of the most powerful reasons for adoption of K2 is its ability to visualise a process at run-time. Although I've heard varied opinions about this in the industry, everything from 'please don't show that to the user, it will confuse the hell out of them' to 'that’s why we bought K2', the viewflow has always been a hit. And now it’s just been given a dose of concentrated Brazilian guarana... real time capability!

Here is a simple process I created in the K2 blackpearl Visual Studio designer:


I exported it to the K2 server and started a new instance. The first activity will generate a client task, so I head straight for the Workspace, and click on the dropdown of my task.





From there I can open the viewflow of the process. Look at this:



There is also the option to view the viewflow in realtime, so I enable it, go back to my worklist and complete my pending task. Within a few seconds the viewflow automatically updates the state:



1 comment:

Anand Chandawarkar said...

Hi Gabriel,

One of my client requirements is to enable the submitter (person who kicks off the K2 blackpearl workflow) to be able to view the status of the workflow. For this, I was wondering, if we could give a link in a notification to the submitter to the "view flow" page that is available from the K2 task worklist itself. I am stuck as to how to achieve this. Could you please throw light on the same.

Regards,
Anand